Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The VHS Surgery Residency Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) Committee is committed to encouraging progress towards representation of minority groups and discussion of minority issues. We fully endorse the American College of Surgeons philosophy that, “The College upholds the highest standards of leadership in our profession with its strong commitment to multiculturalism and equal opportunity, respecting and nurturing the diversity of its membership. It recognizes that specific recruitment and development of Fellows from diverse and under-represented groups is essential to enhancing the strength of the College.”
The VHS Surgery Residency JEDI Committee provides an opportunity for evaluation, education and mentoring of students, residents, faculty and staff of VHS in the medical and medico-professional issues experienced by underrepresented groups. The committee also seeks to actively recruit applicants who represent a diverse background.
Responsibilities of the committee include:
- Assessing the need and implementing group discussions of minority issues as pertaining to medical care, professional advancement and surgical training. These discussions occur each month as a component of well-being.
- Providing recommendations to our institution in reference to institutional policies that address diversity, equity and inclusion issues.
- Implementing and overseeing a mentorship program for community students interested in medicine or surgery.
- Providing financial assistance to residency applicants from underrepresented groups for visiting rotations.
- Selecting and interviewing applicant pool candidates from underrepresented groups in surgery.
- Interviewing potential candidates and participating in creation of the NRMP Match list.
- Identifying and recruiting a diverse group of professionals in the surgical community who may serve as guest speakers or mentors for surgical trainees.
- Participation in committees and presenting at societal meetings to further the mission of the VHS General Surgery Residency.
- Identifying and participating in volunteer opportunities within the local community.