Valley Health System General Surgery Residency Program in Las Vegas
A message from Saju Joseph, MD
Program Director, General Surgery
The Valley Health System GME Consortium
We are proud to announce the ACGME approval of the General Surgery Residency Program at The Valley Health System. The program has been approved for 28 total resident slots, which includes four categorical residents per year and eight preliminary resident slots. The inaugural class, starting in July 2019, will include those applicants who have applied using the ERAS application process and participated in the NRMP to match with our program.
Las Vegas represents a unique opportunity for training in the surgical profession. With over two million potential patients in Clark County and the surrounding areas, residents will be exposed to a broad range of pathology and one of the most robust operative experiences in the country. Surgeons in The Valley Health System perform over 50,000 surgical cases and over 8,000 endoscopic procedures per year.
Other highlights of the program include:
- Residents will be involved in all aspects of patient care and in multiple settings, including opportunities to perform autopsies with the Clark County Coroner.
- A comprehensive simulation curriculum will allow residents to train in a consequence-free environment and our inter-professional curriculum will prepare residents to work in complex healthcare teams.
- Residents will have the opportunity to participate in scholarly research and will be given the opportunity to develop executive leadership skills through participation in hospital committees and Quality Improvement programs.
- Our collaboration with the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, will allow residents to experience a trauma rotation at the University Medical Center, the only Level 1 trauma center in Nevada. We have also collaborated with UCLA for resident rotations in Transplant and Hepatobiliary surgery.
- Organ procurement in conjunction with the Nevada Donor Network.
It is our goal to provide an educational experience that prepares the residents at The Valley Health System to emerge as leaders in surgical excellence. Welcome to The Valley Health System General Surgery Residency Program.
This program affords the benefits of training with community surgeons combined with the rigors and cutting-edge quality care of academic medicine.
Salaries and Benefits
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and other benefits.
Apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) application process.
Saju Joseph, MD